Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Difficult decisions

What should I do in August? Should I come home to America and see friends and family or should I travel to an exotic location that I have never been to before and hang out with my friends there? That is the big question that has been troubling me lately. And for those of you who know me, it is never easy for someone like me to make a decision that requires a lot of thought. I need to analyze all of my options to ensure I am making a good decision. Here is everything currently on my mind:

The first option is to go back home to America to visit with my friends and family.

I was originally going to wait until February to come back to America, because it would be a cheaper plane ticket and the chances of Gil being able to join me on the trip back home would be better than they would be in August. (For those who do not know, he is working as an English teacher, but he teaches high school students, that are preparing for their college entrance exams in a private academy. Since college entrance exams in Korea are only offered once a year and in early November he shouldn't take time off during my vacation time. It is a very serious time for Koreans, if you know anything about the Korean education system). So I am very sad about that, because I know he would love to come back and see everyone and I would also enjoy spending more time with him in addition to being surrounded by my loved ones in America. He would love America during the summer time, especially the cleaner air!!

However, I feel I should come back in August rather than waiting for February because we never know what is planned in this great game of life. Most of my family and friends are in great health which I am thankful for but you never know what might happen next. I know it is really sad to think about but I need to share my thoughts and concerns on the topic. If an unexpected tragedy were to happen, I would feel guilty for not spending my time with loved ones. And I don't want any kind of guilt or regret.

The second option is to go on a travel adventure to the wild outback of Australia.

I have many friends from Korea that are currently working there for "working holiday" to save up money as well as experience Australia. They all want me to come and visit them, especially my best Korean friend, May. I think it would be an amazing experience to go visit her and my other friends in Melbourne and Sydney. I am also afraid of disappointing them though. I know that they would understand my reasoning behind wanting to go home, but I know they were really looking forward to me coming to visit them. If I wait until my vacation time in February it might be too late to go and visit them.

I am also young and able to travel. I am not married with children yet and have a job that allows me time off twice a year to go on vacations. It is a good time for me to continue my dreams of travelling the world.

And then there is always the option of having a staycation in Korea where I can just relax and save money.

If I stayed in Korea for my vacation it would be a money saving move, which could also be a good idea because I have made the decision to not renew my contract with EPIK in Jeju-do (my current placement for work). It would also be very relaxing and allow me to just spend time with Gil during the hours of the day he doesn't work as well as travel to new locations in Korea at my own leisure. I would love to visit the Kangwon-do province. I heard the scenery is very nice. I could even catch up with old friends from Korea university that I do not get to see as often as I wish I could.

At this moment of time, I really don't know what I should do. It is a difficult decision that my heart is torn on. If you are religious, prayer is a nice gesture, but if you are not religious, wishing me luck on making the correct decision that will make me happiest is also a nice gesture.

Thank you so much for reading my thoughts and feelings on my difficult decisions. I know that I have many friends and family from around the world who care a lot and will support me with whichever decision I make. I love you all.

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Ande, I am very much like you and am concerned with how others will respond when I make a decision. However, if there is anything I have learned during my time, it is to make decisions for only yourself. Do not spend time fretting over disappointing others or basing your decisions on what you think others want from you. You are the most important factor in this decision, so it is important that you follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hillary! It is nice to know that you understand how I feel in this difficult situation. After thinking about it more, I think that you are right. I do need to make this decision for myself and my happiness rather than being worried about disappointing others. Thank you for the inspirational comment. It is just like we are back in university together again! I miss you and hope you are doing well!!

      Delete